Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forgive the ones who didn't. Believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it! If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it would be easy. They just promised it would be worth it.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Looking back. Looking forward.

Over the last year, there has been many struggles for not only me, but also for many of the important people in my life. There have been triumphs too. A year ago I graduated from OSU, with no job and news that my family probably wouldn't be able to help keep me on my feet. I was depressed for some time, and it seemed quite hopeless in our current economic state, until I received a phone call for a job interview at Coffee Culture. I had no idea then what I was getting myself into (more on that later). Once I had a job, the challenge was to stay afloat, without boring myself to death. I eventually had to move into cheaper housing, and really cut back on many things in life. Today, I completely support myself (except for my car insurance, but that is the next thing on my list), although it is no easy task.

In June, Dave left to go on a fishing trip in Alaska. At first, three months wtih my best friend being gone was torture. I learned to be alone, like really alone, something I had a fear of. Again, another part of me that I had an opportunity to improve upon, and I become more self-reliant. When Dave came home two months early, I was here to help him get back on his feet. He moved in with me, and we found that we couldn't be without each other like that again. :)

Working at the coffee shop can be challenging at times. I have made lots of new friends, girls that I spend LOTS of time with. I have also learned a lot about people in general. We get a wide spectrum of people coming to our shop (as reflective of Corvallis itself... we have hippies, cowboys, intellectuals, and people on welfare. You name it, I've seen it). But the time and effort that we put in as a coffee shop to be the best in town, pays off. Most of us are able to do latte art (being able to make shapes and pictures with the steamed milk). We use top of the line syrups and chocolates to ensure the best taste with our espresso roast. We use fair trade coffees and teas. And, most importantly, we keep it classy. No bikinis, no cleavage. Just fast, friendly service. I can say that having a coffee shop of my own someday would be fantastic, but also a lot of hard work. It's never easy though. I have learned a great patience and understanding of others, and I have found that it has paid off. This month, we are actually going to Portland Roasting, who provides us with our coffees, for a cupping and barista training. It's always good for us to be furthering our coffee education, so that we can still be the premier coffee shop of Corvallis. Should be good!

Now, coming into 2010, Dave has graduated from OSU too, and has begun the rough process of trying to find a "real" job. If he lands one, I plan on going with him wherever he goes. Jackie will be graduating from her high school and moving on to college. We have yet to know where she will go to college, but I'm sure she will be offered academic scholarships from multiple places. I am happy with the job I am at now, although the pay is not something I am totally happy with. Hopefully Dave can land a sweet job somewhere, so that I have a chance to search for a new job in a new city. For now, I am putting my life in e hands of the fates, and waiting to see what 2010 has in store for me, Dave and my family. In the meantime, I'll try to keep up on my blogs. :)

Hope everyone has a great 2010!

No comments: